Saturday, February 6, 2016

Super Bowl Keto Frito Pie

As a keto mom, I find days that revolve around food a little exhausting. Got to keep those keto kiddos happy and feeling like part of the crowd! 

Super Bowl Sunday is tomorrow and I was thinking about what we'd eat. Our typical go-to Super Bowl meal is Buffalo wings and green bean fries (battered and fried in the fryer). Oh my. So yummy. I could do it keto, but I really wanted Eamon to have a great meal super close to what we're going to be eating on Super Sunday. 

If you're like me, the thought of eating chili without the beans is dumb. For me, beans (and a little bit of brown sugar) make a chili. Make it so good. I've made a few low carb/keto chili recipes and have always felt a little unsatisfied. It just needed something! I remembered Frito Pie from my childhood and smiled. Not saying that corn chips are low carb or anything, BUT I could find a way to make that keto and that would definitely satisfy me and the lack of beans. Huzzah! 
All of that cheese, all of that meat...FRITOS! YUM! 


I like to eat low carb in solidarity with Eamon, so I had a chili, corn chip salad thing. Pretty good! I've posted a pic of my salad for you, just in case you feel the same. 

Frito Pie on top of some romaine lettuce...not bad! 

This is a pretty easy recipe, so it's just standard directions below. 

Super Bowl Keto Frito Pie

3:1 ratio, 502 calories

Ingredients

Heavy cream, 67g
Onions-raw, 2g
Tomato Sauce-Muir Glen/canned, 9g
Chili powder, .5g
Corn Chips-Fritos, 8g
Jalapeno-fresh, 1g
Trader Joe's Mild Wisconsin Mild Cheddar, 6g
Beef, raw 80% lean, 30g
Mayonnaise-Duke's, 4g
Olive oil, 10g

Directions:

Measure oil and place in a non-stick skillet. Heat on medium heat until shimmering. Add onions and jalapenos and cook for about 3 minutes. Add measured ground beef. Cook and crumble beef with the vegetables. When beef is no longer red, add chili powder and saute for 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce and heat. Meanwhile, measure and crumble corn chips into a bowl. After meat mixture is hot, add to top of corn chips. Add shredded cheddar and dollop (4g) of mayo. Cream on the side. Serve it up!

Optional: Use a different spice, like cumin. Calculate in some sour cream and mix it with the mayo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment