Thursday, January 28, 2016

Can't believe it's Keto Cinnamon Rolls





This diet is such a struggle sometimes. I feel depressed for Eamon. For all of the things he's missing. For all of the things I'm missing. Don't get me wrong, this diet is a blessing and a miracle. I'd totally do it again in a heartbeat, but it's been a rough road.

We live in Maryland, so we spent last week inside in the blizzard. As I perused the grocery store in the attempt to hoard food with the rest of Maryland, I paused from my heavy cream and butter grabbing to see what the rest of the future prisoners of the snow were putting in their carts; frozen pizzas, refrigerated cookie dough, chips and dips, flour and sugar for baking. I was so envious. I wanted to bake for my boys. I wanted to create these "every blizzard we make snow ice cream" memories. I hated the feeling of waiting on the plow as I watched our stock of heavy cream dwindle.

It's okay, it's okay. All of us keto parents have these moments, days, months. We just have to shake it off and remember all that keto has given us. I'm really so very thankful that it was an option for our son. I don't want to think about the alternative.

One of my splurge buys for the "normies" (non-keto eating children) was a can of cinnamon rolls. Cinnamon rolls, you ask? Yes! Keep it Keto, mama!

Have you heard of Carbquik? Thanks to a keto parenting facebook page, I did and I immediately ordered it. Immediately. I then felt a little depressed as I tried to calculate it into something palatable for Eamon. I just couldn't get it right. It took a few weeks, but I finally came up with some good recipes (biscuits and keto sawmill gravy, biscuits and honey, etc). One of Eamon's favorites is the cinnamon roll. Another bonus? Depending on ratio or personal taste, you may just calculate yourself out of extra cream!!! Woo woo!

WARNING: Lots of pictures and directions. See below for ingredients and written directions.


Carbquik and butter measured before you cut in the butter

Butter cut into Carbquik before you add the cream

Cream added and mixed for 30 seconds

Add mix to some parchment paper 

Smoosh and roll the mix until...

It's in a flattened roll like this

Add butter and cinnamon and spread on the top of the flattened dough

It's very sticky, so use the parchment to roll the dough up

Flatten the dough...you don't want it to be too tall. It won't cook before it browns. 

Ready to go in the oven. Use the spatula to scrape the parchment clean. 

Pulling it out of the oven

Yeahhhhh, add that frosting and serve. Drool. 


Can't believe it's Keto Cinnamon Rolls

3.04:1 Ratio,  502 calories


Ingredients:
Carbquik, 40g

Cream, 60g

Butter, 24g (14g chilled, 10g softened)

Splenda, 1g
Vanilla extract, 1g
Cinnamon, 2g
Erythritol (powder), 15g

Directions:
1. Measure Carbquik, Splenda, and a dash of salt in a bowl and give a quick stir. Add 14g of cold butter. Using two knives, cut the butter into the Carbquik and be sure to use a rubber spatula to clean off the knives. 

2. Add 30g of cream and mix with a rubber spatula for 30 seconds. It doesn't all have to come together. Don't be tempted to overmix, the dough can get tough that way. 

3. Pull a about a 6-8 inch piece of parchment paper. Carefully, scrape all of dough into the center of the paper, cleaning the bowl. 


4. Use the parchment to gather the dough, trying to get it all to stick together (it may take a minute). Rolling the parchment, try to make a "snake" like you're playing with playdoh and flatten it. Try to make it pretty long, if you can. It makes a prettier cinnamon roll. 
5. Mix room temperature butter and cinnamon until blended. 



6. Spread across the dough. 

7. Using the parchment, roll the dough up into a cinnamon roll shape and flatten the top. 

8. Put in a 400 degree, pre-heated oven and bake until browned and cooked through. I use a small toaster oven for Eamon, so it's only about 12 minutes. Keep checking it. The butter and cinnamon will stay soft, but make sure the dough is drier and cooked well. My guess is 15-18 minutes in the oven. 

9. While it's in the oven, mix 15 grams of cream, vanilla, and erythritol in a bowl and stir until blended. It will be on the runny side because Eamon likes it that way. Use less cream if you'd like it thick. 

10. Serve with extra cream. Eamon likes his as "coffee." Silly boy! 

Optional: Add one of the grams of cinnamon into the actual dough. Eamon liked that once. Consider calculating cream cheese into frosting if calories and ratio allow. Yum! 

No comments:

Post a Comment